In 1512, the first Europeans, the Portuguese, arrived in Ayutthaya. Having captured Malacca and subsequently
discovered that Ayutthaya claimed suzerainty, the Portuguese decided to forestall future conflict by establishing relations with
the Ayutthaya king, Ramathibodi II. In 1516, they signed a treaty whereby in exchange for firearms and weapons,
they could reside, trade and practice their religion in Thai territory.
Portuguese village, erected on the west bank of Chao Phraya River, at the south of Ayutthaya province.
Once in the reign of King Chai Raja (1534-1546 A.D.), Portuguese people came into Siam and joined in the war with Thais.
Because of Thais' victory, Portuguese then was pleased by the King at that time and was given the land for being the residence.|
ดู Saint Josep Church โบสถ์เซนต์ยอเซฟ Ayutthaya Click to view larger map