Opposite to Portuguese village, on the east bank of river, was Japanese village. Japanese came into our country to trade with Thai people in the reign of King Thamma Raja (1569-1590 A.D.), and then migrated from Ayutthaya after their camps were burnt down. Next was Hollander village. The Hollander also came to trade with Thais with East Indian Co.,Ltd. as their representative company in Siam.
We obtained lots of benefit from goods of these Hollander.|
Prior to the point where Pasak River and Chao Phraya River were gathered, we could notice Wat Phanan Choeng on the east side of river. It was the temple where seated the principle Buddha image called "Luang Phor Phanan Choeng" or "Sam Pa Kong" called by Thais of Chinese origin.
Gliding upstream to Wat Phutthaisawan, lying on the west bank of river, found the residence of Phra Phuttakosajarn located in the temple's area. Lots of mural paintings aged around 300 years were drawn on the internal wall of this residence which were the illustration of the ten incarnations of the Buddha on the west side of the wall and painting of
Phra Phuttakosajarn while going to Sri Lanka by junk on the east side. Others were the masterpieces of artists in the late Ayutthaya period.
Wat Chai Watthanaram was the last destination we stopped over. Its constructing pattern was different from other temples. There will be a huge prang as a center surrounded by smaller ones. All of these were the most important part of temple called "Phuttavas" (the domain of temple) located at the front part of temple and
"Sunkkavas" (the domain of monk) located on the back part. Overall were surrounded by 3 rows of brick wall. Its constructing character looked like Sumeru Mount, the central of universe, influenced by Khmer design.
New ways to see Ayutthaya.
The best way to see the stunning Summer Palace at Bang Pa-In is by boat. The powerful River Jet, which seats 82 passengers, provides 20-minute cruises around Wat Nivesthammapravat, at 30 baht per person. With seven cruises a day tickets are available at Bang Pa-In, Tel. (035) 261 548.
The Krung Sri River Hotel will charter its Krung Sri Princess cruiser for groups wishing to sail around Ayutthaya island and visit Bang Sai Art and Craft Centre. The charter fee is 8,000 baht for 3 hours around Ayutthaya, 13,000 baht for 4 hours to Bang Sai, and 15,000 baht for a 5-hour cruise covering both Ayutthaya and Bang Sai.
Back to Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Web
Napapan Tivatitporn & Yuthachai Ketnoo, 'Glory of "Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya", Plenty of rivers and invaluable land of heritages', Siam Smile Airport Magazine, January 1997, P.38-42.
Black To Main Menu