Phra Chulachomklao Fortress
This fortress, popularly called by the people "Pom Phra Chun", was constructed during the reign of King Rama V in the year 1893, and is located seven kilometers from Phra Samut Chedi on Suksawat Road.
The Royal Thai Navy sank a French warship, invading Thai waters, by firing from the fortress. The binoculars and the ancient cannons are still kept in this fortress and a visit can be made with a permit issued by
the Public Relations Section, The Royal Thai Navy.|
Naval Strategy at Pak Nam ( R.E. 112 )
- On July 10, 1893 the French notified Prince Devawongse that the French gunboats the "Inconstant" and the "Comete" would cross the bar on the way to Bangkok.
Despite the Thai protest on July 13 the gunboats "Inconstant" and "Comete" which had a merchant ship "Jean Baptiste Say" as a pilot ship forced their way to Chao Phraya River. They were fired upon by Thai guns
at the Chula Chom Klao Fort and the Phissuasamut Fort. French ships fired back, and the small naval battle broke out, some Thai battle ships also took part in the battle. Both sides suffered casualities. The French
pilot ship "Jean Baptiste Say" and the Thai gunboat Makutraj Kumar were heavily damages, but the "Inconstant" and the "Comete" got through and anchored opposite the French Legation at Bangkok.
The Royal Maeklong Warship to be situated show on the bank of the Chao Phraya River
From Phra Chulachomklao Fortress, you 'll see the mouth of Gulf of Thailand at the East
The Monument of King Chula Chomklao Chaoyuhua [ RAMA V ]