The temple is inside the northern wall of Sukhothai and close to Ta Pha
Daeng Shrine, which is southwest of this ancient monument. According to the
stone inscription of Wat Sorasak, Nai Inthara Sorasak was granted a piece of land
by Okya Dharmaraja, a Sukhothai governor, where he built a temple dedicated to
the governor. After construction was completed, Venerable Mahathen
Thammatrailok from Dao Khon, an uncle of the Sukhothai governor, was invited to reside at this temple.
In 1416 Somdet Phra Boromma Rachathirat II (Chao Sam Phraya),
came as a young boy with his mother and aunt to Sukhothai for a religious ceremony.
His aunt stayed at the palace in the west, close to Wat Sorasak. This story, mentioned
in the stone inscription of Wat Sorasak, indicates that the palace of the Sukhothai
royalty was located to the west of Wat Sorasak and to the north of Ta Pha Daeng Shrine.
The main bell-shaped chedi sits on a base of elephant sculptures. This
style is another reflection of the Sri Lankan influence that was prevalent during
the Sukhothai period. The concept of elephants guarding a chedi is based on a
belief that the elephant, regarded as a beast of burden for the emperor, is a suitable
animal to firmly uphold Buddhism throughout a period of 5000 years.