The hill called Khao Phra Bat, with this temple on top, is located near the
Yom river. The major historic structures of this temple are the main Sri Lankan
style chedi, a vihara, and a mandapa, all built from laterite blocks.
The text in Stone Inscription Number 3, also called the Inscription of
Nakhorn Chum, made in 1357, mentions that a sculpture of the Buddha’s footprint
made by King Maha Dharmaraja Li Thai of Sukhothai was placed at Si
Satchanalai. The Thai word “Phra Bat” means the Buddha’s footprint. Thus, certain
scholars believe that this temple once housed the Buddha’s footprint, now kept at Wat Choeng Khiri.