Wat Srageath (The Golden Mountain)

Wat Srageath (The Golden Mountain)
Wat Srageath (The Golden Mountain)
Located at the mouth of Mahanak Canal this temple was originally called Wat Sakae. It was rebuilt by King Rama I and renamed Wat Srageath.
King Rama III repaired this temple and built a gigantic monument, but it collapsed during the construction of the second storey. Instead he built the Phra Wihan to enshrine "Phra Attharos Srisukhotthosapol Yanabophitre", a Buddha image which he had brought from Phitsanulok province.
Later King Mongkut (Rama IV) repaired the remains of the unfinished monument, on top of which a Phra Chedi was built with an enclosure gallery around it. It was called "Borombanphot" (or the Golden Mountain). In A.D. 1864 other buildings which had not been finished were completed by King Rama V (King Chulalongkorn), including the Chedi on top of the Hill (the Golden Mount).
Important Buildings in the Temple

The Library or Ho Trai, the only Ayutthayan piece of art that survives in this temple

Library (Ho Trai)
The Library is in the Ayutthaya style, proving that this temple had been in existance since that period. This hall is in the monks' quarters. It has been repaired but the Ayutthaya artistic characteristics can be seen in the interior; the wood carvings on the panels of the door and windows at the bottom part, portraying scenes of everyday-life in the Ayutthaya period. At the back of them there are painting in Chinese style exquisitely done. Designs on the window panel shows Persian and French soldiers of the time of Louis XIV as well as soldiers of other nationalities.
Apart from the Ayutthayan works of art inside the LKibrary, there are also a few cabinets for the Tripitaka (Buddhist Scriptures) which are the work of the Bangkok period. The quarters for the monks, among which the Library is placed, are believed to be the achievement of King Rama III. Some of the more valuable pieces of furniture are the old wooden panels and the wood carvings on the walls.

The Chedi on the Golden Mount

The Chedi on the Golden Mount
The construction of this monument began in the time of King Rama IV and was completed in the following reign. It is a round Chedi typical of King Rama IV's time with the enfluence of the Stupas in the Ayutthaya period. The same style of Chedis can be seen at Wat Bowonnivet and Wat Makutkasattriyaram. Relics of the Buddha were twice placed inside during the reign of King Rama V. The first time the relic kept in the Grand Palace were moved to this Chedi in A.D. 1877 and later in A.D. 1878 the British Viceroy of India sent the relics found at Kapilavastu near the Nepalese frontier of King Chulalongkorn who celebrated them and had them placed inside the Chedi of the Golden Mount.
The Golden Mount is about 77 metres tall. There are two circular stair-cases leading upward in the northern direction and descending in the south.
The Chedi was repaired in A.D. 1966 and was lined with golden mosaic tiles. Four small Chedis are at the corners. After the renovation King Bhumibol went to install a relic in a crystal casket, inside the Chedi.

The presiding Buddha images, "Phra Attharos Srisukhotthosapol Yanabophitre"

The gallery with Buddha images

A mural in the Ordination Hall

Click at the picture to see animation.

: Tourism Authority of Thailand Tourist Service Center
: Hotel & Bungalows in Bangkok